Price Range: $15,000 to $45,000 Compiled from the Remodeling Magazine annual "Cost
Versus Value Report," Case/Design of Baltimore; Freddie Mac; and Remodel magazine
Average Project Price: $26,888 (Source: National Kitchen & Bath Association)
1. Cabinet styles and finishes: Cabinets usually account for one-half of a kitchen's
total cost, so choices here significantly affect the overall budget. Stock cabinets
cost $50 to $200 per linear foot. Semi-custom cabinets with more finish and style
options can cost two to three times more, and custom cabinets often cost five times
more than stock cabinets.
2. Sink: Options here range from enameled-steel units costing $100 to $200 to stainless-steel
units costing $200 to $2,000 and cast-iron units running $200 to $1,200.
3. Cabinet features: Adding special features such as roll-out drawers and wine racks
may be desirable, but add quickly to increased cost.
4. Refrigerator: While a basic, freezer-on-top model costs around $500 to $600, choosing
a built-in or commercial-style unit can push the price past $4,000.
5. Countertops: Laminate ($10 to $50), solid-surfacing ($100 to $200), and natural
stone such as marble or granite ($150 and up) are priced by the lineal foot. Ceramic
tile is in the same price range as laminate, while stainless-steel and concrete countertops
run $10 to $20 and $60 to $130 per square foot, respectively. Note: all prices are
for materials only.